Tips For Traveling With Your Dog
One situation that causes absolute dread among pet parents is planning a trip with the dog. Many find it difficult to leave their furry friend back home or at a pet hostel. However, traveling with dogs can get easy if you plan well in advance. Proper planning and preparation will make the trip comfortable for both you, and your pet.
Hence, we have curated some essential tips for traveling with your dog to make your trip a memorable one:
Planning your itinerary
This is the first step to planning a trip with your dog. If you want to travel with a pet, you need to make a list of restaurants, hotels, and places that are pet friendly. You can also rely on apps to find destinations that are safest to travel with a dog. These apps also make it easier for you to find the best hiking trails for pets, pet-friendly restaurants, and reviews posted by fellow pet parents.
Visiting the vet
Visit the vet before your pet is out on its trip. As a pet parent, the pet's health is your first priority. When out on a fun trip with a dog, the last thing you would want is for your little fur baby to fall ill. Hence, getting your four-legged friend dewormed, vaccinated, and medically examined by a vet becomes essential. You may also have to produce the veterinarian's certificate stating your pet is fit to travel. Moreover, the vet will also suggest the best ways to calm your dog in between the hustle and bustle of travel, tips for avoiding injuries and accidents, and a dietary plan.
Getting them started
Start taking your dog out on short drives and trips before planning a long journey. Doing so will introduce your pet to the idea of traveling, making them more confident for their first long trip. Make sure you observe your pet's mood, the number of breaks they need, and how comfortable they are with the idea of being in a new or unfamiliar environment during these short trips.
Booking and reservation
Now that you are confident about traveling with your canine friend, you should start making reservations and bookings. While there are multiple modes of travel, train and road trips with your dog are best for domestic trips. These modes of transport allow your furry friend to move around and relax. In case you are taking your furry buddy on an international trip, traveling by plane with your dog is the best-suited option. However, Please read through the terms and conditions thoroughly before you make your travel bookings.
Travel essentials for the trip with your dog
Pet parents often look for dog travel tips to plan a seamless journey. However, planning is just the first step, the real hassle starts when you get down to the most daunting business -- packing. It becomes all the more challenging when you take your pawfect pal along. Since dogs are a territorial animal, your Fido might feel uncomfortable when taken out of its usual surrounding. Hence, you must try to recreate a friendly and known environment when traveling with your pet. Clueless about how to do that ? Fret not. We have got you covered with the list of must haves while traveling with your pooch.
- Many airlines require pets to stay inside a carrier, so get your canine companion a carrier that can make traveling easier for your dog.
- Pack all their favorite toys, bedding accessories, and feeding bowls to comfort your furry friend while traveling.
- Carry accessories like a harness, leash, and collar for maximum safety.
- Stock both wet and dry food alongside ample treats for a smooth journey like travel-friendly Cesar Tray dog food!
- Make a separate folder for the vet’s certificate, pet’s identification, tickets, and other documents.
- Tie a collar around your pet’s neck that includes basic information like its name and your contact details
Happy pet equals to happy holiday
As a pet parent, you should check your fur baby’s mood once you reach the destination. If your pet is active and playful, you may decide to take them out for an adventurous day. Sit back and relax in the hotel room on days your pet is tired or uneasy. Lastly, you must understand that some people might not be open to the idea of being around pets. During such situations, it is best to politely excuse yourself and spend a joyous time vacationing with your Fido away from them.
Frequently asked questions
What do I need to travel with dogs?
A veterinary inspection certificate, travel bookings, dog accessories, feeding bowls, and toys are a few essentials you need for traveling with your pet.
Is it stressful to travel with dogs?
No, it is not stressful to travel with your dog. However, ensure that you follow the tips and tricks mentioned in this article to have a memorable trip with your pet.
How do I prepare my dog for long trips?
Here are a few dog travel tips on preparing your pet for long trips:
- Take them on short trips to get your dog adjusted to traveling.
- Visit the vet to receive trips and tricks on keeping your dog comfortable throughout the journey.
- A range all the necessary documents, food items, accessories, and other essentials for the trip.
What is the safest way to travel with a dog?
The following are a few tips to ensure a safe trip with your dog:
- Plan your itinerary by conducting detailed research on pet-friendly places and accommodation.
- Visit the vet for thorough examination, deworming, and vaccination before the trip.
- Use pet harness and leash to secure your pet to their seat. This will help you avoid injuries or accidents.
- Carry treats, toys, wet and dry dog food, medicines, and other essentials.